And Paintbits is already running it! WordPress 3.0, the thirteenth major release of WordPress and one must give credits to the developers and contributors, each major version has always brought something new and unique to make WordPress the definite open source website/blog engine for developers and bloggers all over the World.
What’s new in WordPress 3.0
3.0 is a new milestone for WordPress and even though most juicy changes should please the power users more than the casual blogger, the inclusion of a new default theme should be strong enough argument for many to change to the newest version (and you should always keep your WordPress website upgrade for security reasons).
The new Features Highlight taken from WordPress.org.
- WordPress and WordPress MU have merged, allowing the management of multiple sites (called Multisite) from one WordPress installation.
- New default theme “Twenty Ten” takes full advantage of the current features of WordPress.
- New custom menu management feature, allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom header and background APIs.
- Contextual help text accessed under the Help tab of every screen in the WordPress administration.
- Ability to set the admin username and password during installation.
- Bulk updating of themes with an automatic maintenance mode during the process.
- Support for shortlinks.
- Improved Custom post types and custom taxonomies including hierarchical (category-style) support. (Try the Custom Post Type UI or GD Custom Posts And Taxonomies Tools plugins to see the possibilities.)
- A lighter admin color scheme to increase accessibility and put the focus more squarely on your content.
You can see the full feature list here.
I have to say I enjoy the new admin theme a lot more than the old one. It’s lighter, cleaner, a more solid theme overhaul.
I’m thinking in re-doing Paintbits theme again. Developing maybe a premium version of the theme to put up on ThemeForest and offer this current one for free.
WordPress 3.0 Official Video
Justin Tadlock as a really nice post about WordPress 3.0 Features.